Binoctular LED clock
A while ago, I saw this blogpost on Hackaday. It shows a seven segment clock made of Neopixels. Actually, this was a brilliant idea, it's surprising that no one thought of it earlier. It's so simple and looks very nice.
Although I liked the idea, I wasn't really thrilled by the design. It was -in my opinion- a (VERY) cool proof-of-concept, great for on a workbench, but not for on my nightstand. So that started me thinking (that's what I like about sharing ideas, inspiring others). As I did not have any single Neopixels lying around (or a LED strip with WS2812B's), I did have a WS2812B-LED ring, with 8 LED's.
Why not make a clock out of those?
This is the result:



This clock runs on a Arduino Nano clone and uses a DS3231 to keep track of time (with backup battery of course). On the back, there are four buttons to set the time and run demo's.

During the project, I made a Python simulation of it:
This is the first implementation, a sort of proof-of-concept. However, I made it presentable enough to put a nightstand (at least, I think so (feel free to disagree)).
I already added some nice to have features, like:
- Ability to change color (or changing colors)
- Show temperature
As can been seen in the photos, the clock consists of laser cut wooden panels. The front is laminated paper that has been cut to size using a vinyl cutter.
When building something yourself, you continuously think 'the next version should have...'. Here are some thoughts:
- Short animation when time changes
- Add USB output port for charging my phone
- A game?
- Light sensor (or setting for dimmed operation, e.g. from 22:00 till 07:00)
I could also replace the Arduino Nano with a NodeMCU ESP8266, a Linkit One, an Oak by Digistump or a Raspberry Pi. All four are lying around here somewhere. This would add wifi to the clock, enabling all kinds of cool extra features:
- Select color using a color picker web page on my phone
- Show messages on screen? (are all letters possible (ehh, readable)?)
Do note that the photos made by phone are actually better readable than it is in reality. :-(
Although I liked the idea, I wasn't really thrilled by the design. It was -in my opinion- a (VERY) cool proof-of-concept, great for on a workbench, but not for on my nightstand. So that started me thinking (that's what I like about sharing ideas, inspiring others). As I did not have any single Neopixels lying around (or a LED strip with WS2812B's), I did have a WS2812B-LED ring, with 8 LED's.
Why not make a clock out of those?
This is the result:
This clock runs on a Arduino Nano clone and uses a DS3231 to keep track of time (with backup battery of course). On the back, there are four buttons to set the time and run demo's.
During the project, I made a Python simulation of it:
This is the first implementation, a sort of proof-of-concept. However, I made it presentable enough to put a nightstand (at least, I think so (feel free to disagree)).
I already added some nice to have features, like:
- Ability to change color (or changing colors)
- Show temperature
As can been seen in the photos, the clock consists of laser cut wooden panels. The front is laminated paper that has been cut to size using a vinyl cutter.
When building something yourself, you continuously think 'the next version should have...'. Here are some thoughts:
- Short animation when time changes
- Add USB output port for charging my phone
- A game?
- Light sensor (or setting for dimmed operation, e.g. from 22:00 till 07:00)
I could also replace the Arduino Nano with a NodeMCU ESP8266, a Linkit One, an Oak by Digistump or a Raspberry Pi. All four are lying around here somewhere. This would add wifi to the clock, enabling all kinds of cool extra features:
- Select color using a color picker web page on my phone
- Show messages on screen? (are all letters possible (ehh, readable)?)
Do note that the photos made by phone are actually better readable than it is in reality. :-(
If the cell phone pics make it easier to read because they blur the dots into lines, you could try putting muslin or real nylon diffusion cloth over the LED's. I used muslin when rebuilding my motorcycle dashboard, it helped soften and spread out the back light much better.
ReplyDeletehttps://hackaday.com/2016/12/02/7-segment-display-using-neopixel-rings/
ReplyDelete